Left Continue shopping
Your Order

You have no items in your cart

Read more
Get Rs.500 OFF on Order above 3000 | Code : EXTRA500

Jewellery Blog / 925 silver necklace for womens

925 Silver vs Sterling Silver: Which is better

925 Silver vs Sterling Silver: Which is better

With so many different types of silver on the market, it's simple to become perplexed when hearing terms like "silver plate," "sterling silver," "fine silver," "pure silver," "925 silver," "nickel silver," "coin silver" and so forth.

Silver has a recognisable metallic shine that makes it easy to identify. It is consistently fashionable and used in jewellery. It is a beautiful, strong metal with a high tensile strength. Designers and customers alike place a great value on silver.

Silver has been highly regarded and is unlikely to ever go out of style ever since it was discovered in what is now Greece and Turkey (formerly Anatolia) in about 3000 BC. Although pure silver is pricey, its softness prevents it from being utilised in jewellery. Sterling silver is a metal that is created when silver is mixed with a small amount of an alloy. In addition to sterling silver, fine silver, silver plate, fine silver, nickel silver, pure silver and 925 silver, there are many other varieties of silver.

What is sterling silver and what’s the difference between sterling silver and 925 silver?

If you plan to purchase silver jewellery, it is crucial to understand the difference between 925 silver vs sterling silver. But not all of the silver is made of metal. It contains 99.9% silver as well as trace amounts of other metals, such as copper.

People frequently ask what is the difference between 925 silver VS sterling silver. "None" is the obvious answer because that is the reality. The term "925 silver" is also used to describe the silver alloy known as "sterling silver."

Definition of sterling silver

Silver is combined with other metals to create the alloy known as sterling silver. 92.5 percent of the material is pure silver, and the remaining 7.5% is an alloy. Copper is frequently used with silver to create an alloy that is stronger and less prone to damage than pure silver. Sterling silver is the name of this alloy. Sterling silver must be 92.5% pure to meet purity standards, so the remaining 7.5% of the alloy can contain copper or another metal such as zinc and nickel.

The genuine sterling silver standard varies by nation, with some, like Europe and the United States of America having a ratio of 92.5 silver to 7.5 other alloys while others, like France, have a ratio of 95 silver to 5 other alloys. But the generally recognised standard is 92.5.

While combined with other metals, silver's usefulness is increased (usually copper). Sterling silver contains 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper and other alloys. Copper and other alloys account for the remainder. Metals with a silver content under 92.5% are considered non-sterling.

Contrary to popular opinion, the majority of silver jewellery is created from sterling silver.

925 Silver vs Sterling Silver: Which one is better?

92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent alloy make up the alloy known as sterling silver. Alloys for sterling silver may be made of zinc, copper, or nickel. There are different standards, even though sterling silver must adhere to a stringent standard of 92.5 silver to 7.5 copper or other alloys in the United States, Europe, and the majority of the rest of the globe. Although other nations, like France, have a threshold of 95%, 92.5 is the most common.

What is 925 silver, then? At the end, it has the same properties as sterling silver! The only significant distinction between sterling silver and 925 silver is the designation. Both metals are created from the same mixture of silver alloys. So, basically there is no difference between 925 silver jewellery and sterling silver jewellery.

Durability and Purity of sterling silver

Sterling silver needs a combination of other metals because pure silver is brittle by nature. Silver's hardness is increased when other metals are added, making it more suited and long-lasting for use in jewellery and household items like cutlery.

This method yields the recognisable bright, shining, metallic silver colour as well. Sterling silver jewellery must be constantly cleaned and maintained with polishers since the only drawback to this lovely metal is that it can tarnish.

A numerical scale or grading system with a base of 1,000 is used to determine the silver's purity. The rating for pure silver is 999. Silver must have a minimum purity of 92.5, often known as 925, in order to be categorised as sterling silver 925. As a result, sterling silver is 925 silver, as you can see.

While purchasing sterling silver, it's crucial to remember that metals with a silver content of less than 92.5 percent are not sterling silver.

A Status Symbol for Decades is 925 Silver

Silver's aesthetic appeal has always attracted people. In actuality, it dates back to the Paleolithic era.

Both in the creation of jewellery and in household items like candlesticks and cutlery, it served as a status signal. It is frequently presented as a gift to mark occasions like milestones, anniversaries, or other occasions.

Although 925 sterling silver necklace for women is more durable than pure silver, it is nevertheless sufficiently pliable to allow designers to create both straightforward and complex designs for jewellery, accessories, home goods, and other items.

Silver is fairly inexpensive when compared to gold.

Give 925 silver a try if you are seeking for a precious metal that produces gorgeous jewellery that is also trendy and inexpensive.

How to differentiate Fine Silver and Sterling Silver?

  • When fine silver is stamped with the numbers 999, 99.9, or.999, it means that every milligramme of the metal is 100 percent pure silver.
  • 925,.925, or 92.5 are the hallmarks for American sterling silver. By American standards, silver jewellery that isn't.925 sterling silver can't be considered real.
  • It's crucial to remember that silver marketed in Europe and other regions of the world may have a purity lower than 92.5% yet still bearing the designation "silver" or "sterling silver." For instance, German silver may contain as little as 80% silver. There is a chance that Russian silver has a purity lower than 90%. For instance, German silver may contain as little as 80% silver. There is a chance that Russian silver has a purity lower than 90%.
  • As silver content is regulated differently in different parts of the world, it is imperative to ensure that any jewellery you are thinking of purchasing contains sterling silver.


So, 925 silver vs sterling silver-basically both are the same. Silver that contains a small amount of another metal alloyed into it, is known as sterling silver. Since pure silver is so delicate, it is too expensive to be utilised in jewellery.

The only distinction between sterling silver and 925 silver is in the designations; both metals are made of the same mixture of silver alloys. We at Silveright jewellery assure you that we only deal with genuine sterling silver and you will get the best quality silver jewellery from our store.


1. Is sterling silver better than 925?

Ans. The alloy known as sterling silver is created when 92.5% pure silver is combined with 7.5% of another metal. To sum up, there is no distinction between sterling silver and 925 silver. But depending on the nation from which it comes, sterling silver’s quality standards may vary.

2. Does 925 sterling silver tarnish or rust over time?

Ans. Fortunately, sterling silver won't rust. To rust over time, silver jewellery needs to be combined with iron. Copper is frequently used in the production of sterling silver.

3. Does sterling silver turn black?

Ans. Silver is a metal that reacts quickly. Because of how chemically your physical composition and environment affect it, it loses its initial lustre. Your silver can turn black due to various factors, including sickness, alcohol consumption, and sweat. Usually, all it takes is a quick polish with your cloth.

Prakash Lahar
Read more