Left Continue shopping
Your Order

You have no items in your cart

Read more
Get Rs.500 OFF on Order above 3000 | Code : EXTRA500

Jewellery Blog / 925 sterling silver bracelet

What is 925 Sterling Silver and How Do You Recognize It?

What is 925 Sterling Silver and How Do You Recognize It?

The purity of the silver is the main focus of the 925 stamp on 925 sterling silver jewellery. This means that no more than 75 parts may be manufactured of a different metal for every 1000 parts of material in the jewellery piece. These components must contain 925 silver components. It is made up of 7.5% other metal and 92.5% silver.

There are two metals combined to make sterling silver. 92.5% of the alloy is pure or fine silver, and the remaining 7.5% is usually made up of another metal, usually copper. Silver that is 99.9% pure or fine cannot be used to make jewellery because the metal is too delicate to be used by itself.

Pure silver is combined with other metals to harden it and to keep its colour and lustre, which makes the resultant compound firm and long-lasting enough for silversmiths to deal with.

The meaning of the 925 stamp on silver jewellery

The minimum millesimal fineness for sterling silver is 925. It adheres to the "sterling standard." Each genuine item has a hallmark of 925 sterling silver stamped on the bottom. Depending on the nation the silver was produced, the stamp and its shape varied. It should be noted that if there is no s hallmark or stamp that cannot be detected or verified, the silver's purity is in doubt and it might even be fake sterling silver.

Regrettably, many merchants profited from the public's ignorance about the value and calibre of silver. You must become aware of the warning indicators to watch out for in order to prevent getting tricked.

Are you searching for a new 925 sterling silver bracelet, 925 sterling silver earrings set, or 925 sterling silver chains? While looking for items like these, more than only the style should be taken into account. Additionally, you must confirm that they are real. This is due to the fact that many retailers try to pass off silver-plated jewellery as genuine sterling silver. You must become aware of the warning indicators to watch out for in order to prevent getting tricked.

If you have a nickel allergy, this is especially crucial because phoney jewellery might give you a rash.

How to verify the genuineness of 925 Sterling Silver jewellery?

Take the case when you choose a bracelet made of sterling silver.925. All authentic sterling silver jewellery has the stamp of 925 sterling silver if it is the actual deal.

Additionally, genuine sterling silver is prone to tarnishing. This is due to the copper that is added to the silver to keep it robust and hard. The air's sulphur, oxygen, and moisture cause the copper to react. Real silver requires routine cleaning to keep it appearing gleaming and brand new.

While looking for jewellery, any tarnishing you notice is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's a sign that sterling silver is authentic. Prior to purchasing any piece, make sure to inspect it for any dull spots or tiny black blemishes.

Real 925 sterling silver rings are particularly vulnerable to tarnishing on the interior where they might have come into contact with skin. Consider using a delicate white polishing cloth to buff your silver or immersing it in a jewellery cleaning solution. After that, it's in like-new condition.

Consider that you are looking to purchase some vintage sterling silver rings. You can perform one quick and simple test after you have examined each ring for tarnishing. Pull out a soft white cloth, and then massage it over the piece's tarnished region. If it's real, some black stains need to remain on the fabric. Depending on whether the jewellery is spotless sterling silver 925 or not, it is either spotless or it isn't.

Some of the tests that you should take into account while buying sterling silver jewellery are listed below:

  • Try using magnets: Genuine 925 sterling silver is almost completely unaffected by magnets. This implies that if you have one on hand, you may use it to conduct a very simple test. You should stop testing your magnet if it attracts the jewellery strongly. This is a blatant sign that it is false. This technique can be used to determine genuine gold as well.
  • Observe the markings: the 925 sterling silver stamp: Jewellery made of sterling silver is always marked with a stamp to show how much silver it contains. This usually shows up as 925,.925, or 92.5. Anything less than 92.5% is not regarded as sterling silver in the US. In various other places of the world, this isn't the case.

According to American and British standards, jewellery of a lesser purity is not considered sterling silver. Sterling silver, for instance, can be as high as 83.5% in Germany and as low as 70% in Lebanon.

Since official standards in different nations continue to vary, it is still possible for certain jewellery to be advertised as sterling silver while falling below the overall criterion of 92.5%. Markings are therefore not always trustworthy. You can’t determine the authenticity only by checking the marking.

Start with checking the marking, but also go for some of the other tests on this list. Or even better, only purchase from reputable merchants who follow U.S. and U.K. standards.

Pick a store that is transparent about the materials it sells and the sources it uses.

  • Pay attention to the sound: 925 Sterling silver rings can also be tested by hearing how the metal sounds. It should make a high-pitched ringing sound, like a bell, when you lightly touch it with your finger or a coin. It's crucial to take proper caution while doing this test in order to avoid damaging the object.
  • Smell of real sterling silver: This method of testing your jewellery may seem odd, but it is actually effective. There should be no smell at all to genuine sterling silver bracelets, rings and necklaces. Just take a whiff of them. If there is a noticeable smell, it probably contains a lot of copper or another alloy.
  • Consider checking the price: Last but not the least, while making a jewellery purchase, think about the cost. Genuine sterling silver is expensive. You get what you pay for, and odds are that something is unreal if it seems too good to be true.


If you adhere to these rules, you will not be duped into purchasing anything that isn't 925 sterling silver. Therefore, while making a purchase, think about doing the tests mentioned above to ensure that the jewellery you are acquiring is made of real sterling silver. Since we at Silveright Jewellery exclusively work with real materials, check out our incredible selection of sterling silver jewellery. We are also open and honest about the materials we sell and the sources we draw from.


1. Is 925 sterling silver good quality?

Ans. Yes, to answer briefly. As the name suggests, sterling silver is made up of 92.5% pure silver, with the remaining 7.5% being primarily composed of copper and other trace components. As pure silver is delicate and difficult for jewellery producers to shape, 925 sterling silver is preferable.

2. How long does 925 sterling silver last?

Ans. If maintained properly, genuine sterling silver jewellery can last for a lifetime. Although it could tarnish over time, routine polishing and cleaning will help you to keep your jewellery look brand new.

3. How to clean 925 sterling silver?

Ans. Two tablespoons of baking soda and half a cup of white vinegar should be mixed together in a glass. Place your sterling silver item inside the mixture and let it settle for three hours. Next, rinse and buff yourself dry.

Prakash Lahar
Read more